- Want to learn beautiful music?
- Want to make high-quality music with other like-minded singers?
- Want to sing REAL Jewish music from Renaissance to contemporary, concert-hall classics to show music; folk and liturgical music in Hebrew, Yiddish, Ladino, English; Israeli songs, and American-Jewish music?
- Want to know about vocal technique, music history, and Jewish history and culture and various performance styles?
- Want to work with a renowned choral conductor who can bring her singers to their greatest potential and her choir to inspiring performances?
Then Sharim V’Sharot is LOOKING FOR YOU!
You’re going to love Sharim v’Sharot, the People of Song!
Sharim V’Sharot is seeking new members for the 2011–12 season, including concerts in Princeton, Lawrenceville and beyond. We have openings for sopranos, altos, tenors, and basses. Auditions will be held from January 15 – February 15 and throughout the year by appointment only, in the Lawrenceville, NJ area. Rehearsals are in session. We meet Tuesday evenings in convenient Lawrenceville. For more details and to make an appointment for an audition, contact us at (609) 22-CHOIR or e-mail us at info@SharimVSharot.org.
What to expect at your audition
At the audition, you will meet with our conductor, Elayne Robinson Grossman, Ed.D. You may also meet an SvS (Sharim v’Sharot) member who will give you a form to complete, or collect your completed form that you have downloaded from our website.
- Please prepare two songs that you love to sing, one fast and one slow. The songs should have lyrics, in any language, and should not be a niggun or a vocal exercise without words.
Elayne likes to hear voices by listening to them without accompaniment. Songs can be taken from Broadway, opera, folk, Israeli or liturgical repertoire, etc.
- Be prepared to sing some scales so that Elayne can determine your singing range.
- Expect to repeat patterns of melody and rhythm. There is really no way to prepare for the echo pattern portions of the audition. You will be asked to repeat melodic patterns played on the piano and rhythmic patterns that will be tapped or clapped.
- Elayne will give you new music to sing on sight. While sight-reading is not necessary for admission, familiarity with notation and an ability to negotiate a score and to learn quickly is appreciated.
If you have further questions, or if you would like to schedule an audition, please do not hesitate to contact us. Auditions and rehearsals are in Lawrenceville, New Jersey.
There is a yearly fee ($40) for musical scores, which you keep, and a requested donation ($50) which we collect in the fall and spring. Both costs are subject to change as we assess our needs for rehearsals, publicity, upkeep, etc. We try to keep our costs as reasonable as possible.
We look forward to meeting with you!
We are going to be a great team together!